LIGHTROOM PRESETS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
The genius of Lightroom, and any editing program really, is the ability to efficiently make edits and adjustments during the post-production process to help you achieve what you want from your photographs. The Lightroom remains one of the best programs when it comes "Presets" and applying them to photos to make any necessary adjustments. Once created, or installed, presets can simplify your life in Lightroom and reduce the amount of time you spend in post-production. In the past, we have discussed creating your own presets and the reasons you should use them. You can also find some great-quality products at our shop where you can download free and professional Lightroom presets.
So, how do you install a Preset? Below we provide some tips for you on how to install Presets you've downloaded:
METHOD 1 - HOW TO INSTALL LIGHTROOM PRESETS (MAC & PC)
Download your presets for Lightroom. Keep in mind that presets arrive in a zip file, so you will need to unzip them and extract the files.
- Open Lightroom.
- On a Mac, open Preferences in Lightroom. On Windows, open Edit then Preferences.
- Select Presets tab in the Preferences box.
- You will need to click on "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" and then open the Lightroom folder.
- Open the "Develop Presets" folder. You can then easily copy and paste Presets into this folder.
- Once you restart Lightroom, you will find your Presets in the Develop Module under the Presets.
You can now easily access your new presets and use them to adjust or enhance your photographs. You can periodically check for new Prests as we bring updates regularly. With these tips, you'll be able to upload them into Lightroom and use them as you want.
On a side note, remember that one of the best ways to adjust a Preset is to modify the white balance or exposure of the photograph, using the sliders.
You can also create a new destination folder for your presets, if you prefer, by clicking on Import and copying the Preset to whatever folder you want (Method 2).
METHOD 2 - HOW TO INSTALL PRESETS FOR LIGHTROOM (MAC & PC)
1. Open Lightroom and go to Develop Mode.
2. Click on the right button of the mouse to create a New Folder.
3. Right-click on the "New Folder" (you can rename it later), to import unzipped Lightroom Presets into created folder.
4. Browse to where you have saved the unzipped Lightroom presets folder (this is usually your "Downloads" or "Desktop" folders). Then select all the .lrtemplate files and click “Import”.
5. Now, you can use Lightroom Presets. Enjoy!
VIDEO TUTORIAL - HOW TO INSTALL AND USE LIGHTROOM PRESETS
Preset Installation Troubleshooting
So, let's say you are having some problems installing your new Presets. Here are some great troubleshooting tips for you.
Can't find your Presets once you've installed them? Make sure you put them into the correct folder. Also, be sure that "Store presets with this catalog" is not checked because if it is, you'll only be able to see Presets within a specific catalog.
No Presets Window to Click:
If you don't see a Presets window to be able to right-click, here's what are several options:
- Be certain you are in Develop module, not Library.
- Be certain that the navigator panel is visible.
- If you see the word Presets, but not the window itself, click on the Presets heading in the left-side panel to expand the window. You should be able to see the Presets now.
Problems with Zip Files:
- You need to be certain you have Lightroom on your computer to open a presets file. If you don't have Lightroom, your computer won't recognize one of these files.
- To extract the files from a zip folder, simply double-click on file and then copy its content into another folder. (See instructions earlier in this article). On some computers, you can double-click the zip file and then "extract all." "Extract Here" function will unzip your files and leave the folder in the same location as the file.
When Right-Clicking doesn't work:
Sometimes, you right-click on a folder and can't get it to open or do anything. Here are some options:
- Ensure that you are indeed right-clicking and that it is enabled on your computer. Right-clicking on a Mac isn't the same as right-clicking on a PC. Follow your computer's instructions for how to right-click if you're not sure how to do it.
- Another option is to be sure that you aren't clicking "Presets" while in a Presets window. That won't get you anywhere. You need to right-click either on the actual name of a preset or a folder.
Have some fun researching new Lightroom presets to try out on your photographs. You are only limited by your creativity and the time you spend practicing before you need to be doing some serious work in post-production. We usually recommend practicing and playing around with presets before you are on the job and on a client's time.
Please contact us if you have any questions or need support ~ we're always happy to assist!